Saturday, August 20, 2016

Well, they say that all good things must come to an end!  After feeling great for 3 weeks, I had a not so good one this week.  I'm assuming it's due to the chemo treatment I got last Friday (the two drugs instead of just one).  I started feeling bad Sunday evening.  I pretty much stayed in bed or my chair the rest of the week, except for doing the things I had to do (dentist, lab work, etc.).  I had no energy, no appetite, was light-headed and just did not feel good.  My lab work came back good which really surprised me.  Wednesday morning after I got out of the shower I started feeling really light-headed. Next thing I know, I was lying on the floor looking up at the ceiling.  Thomas was at home (thank goodness).  He helped me into bed and I was fine after that.  My blood pressure has been running really low lately and I think that's why I passed out.  Due to this incident and some issues with my incision wound, I had to see the nurse practitioner before my chemo yesterday.

Abby and Kylie left to go back to Idaho yesterday.  We are going to miss them so much.  I don't know what I would have done all summer without Abby here.  My sweet sister-in-law, Stacy, took me to my chemo appointment.  Luckily I did not lose any weight this week (which I thought I would).  Also, my blood pressure was better.  When we got on the elevator to go up to chemo, my sweet friend Toni (who also does chemo) was heading up too.  It was good to chat with her for a few minutes.

While I was sitting there doing my treatment, I looked over my left shoulder and saw one of my friends, Kathy Wester, sitting there with her mother (who is also battling ovarian cancer).  Thomas and I have known Kathy and her husband, Bob, for over 20 years.  We both taught their children at PCN.  We hadn't seen them in years and ran into them at Walgreen's a few weeks ago.  And then I see her yesterday.  She came over to visit for a few minutes and it turns out that Stacy knows her too.  Stacy and her daughter are the same age and attended 4th and 5th grades together.  So they got to catch up also.  Small, small world.

Also during my treatment this lady walked up to me and I didn't recognize her.  Turns out, I taught her daughter, Courtney Nelson, at PCN.  Her name is Tina and she works in Dr. Walker's office.  She is the one who calls me every week with the results of my blood work.  Her daughter, Courtney, was one of my favorite students.  What's really weird is that I had been thinking about her the day before. Courtney was a great runner and went to college on a track scholarship.  As I was watching one of the female races on the Olympics, I thought of Courtney.  And then the next day, her mom comes to say hi to me.  Crazy!!

Emma started back to school on Thursday - 4th grade.  She requested chicken fried rice with broccoli for dinner-her favorite meal.  Candice came over to eat and help Abby get packed up to leave on Friday.  Emma and Kylie played all evening.  They get along so good and really enjoy playing with each other.  Thomas also took them for a bike ride in the neighborhood.

After school yesterday, Emma flew to St. Louis to spend the weekend with Sophie.  It was a surprise for Sophie.  She'll be home tomorrow evening.  So, Thomas and I have the house all to ourselves this weekend and it's really quiet here.  We are going to dinner and a movie tonight!  I'm feeling good today,  I even cooked lunch.  Thomas went to Sprouts and got me some okra, corn on the cob and red potatoes so I had a vegetarian lunch!  It was delish!

Oh yeah, and Thomas ordered all of us a Westbrook t-shirt.  If you want to order one, here's the website:   https://thundertee.com/   They are only $10.00.  It's a nice shirt too - really soft and comfy.

I guess that's it for this week.  Cathy

My Russ Shirt! 

Me and Stacy!

Emma and Sophie!



No comments:

Post a Comment