Friday, April 22, 2016

Wednesday evening we took the girls (K and E) to the Arts Festival.  The food items we tried were corn on cob, chicken & waffles, egg rolls & fried rice, roasted nuts (E's fav) and to end the evening....strawberries newport.  The girls enjoyed going to the kids' tent and making some crafts.  Thomas and I have gone to the Arts Festival almost every year for about 19 years and I have never bought a piece of art.  I've come home with little crafty things or dresses for Emma but have never really bought something from one of the artists.  Well, this time I did.  In the very first booth that caught my eye, I found something that spoke to me and I had to have it.  And, since I got paid on Wednesday, the timing was perfect.  (pics below)

Yesterday I got to go in and work the entire day.  One of my advisees (we call him Tritz) graduated and got to ring the bell.  It's a big deal at Project H.O.P.E. to get to ring the bell in front of your classmates and teachers!  He was very happy that I was there to see him ring it and let's just say he rang it loud and proud!  At the end of the school day, my co-workers surprised me with a huge basket full of goodies-gift cards, coloring book and markers, a hand-made angel from an antique quilt, several books/magazines and more!  Of course, I was a blubbering mess when I went to thank them at the end.  I have never looked forward to going to work every day like I do now and I really miss it when I'm not up there.  Love my co-workers and students!

A sweet little lady from church brought us homemade chicken noodle soup, corn muffins and fresh fruit for dinner.  Oh, and she brought us red and white decorated OU cake.  It was pretty funny when Thomas rolled up in his bright orange jeep with OSU decals all over it.  We got a good laugh about that!  It worked out well though as a former teacher friend of mine, Lorie Kennedy, and a couple from our Sunday school class, Jim and Judy Mitchell, dropped by later to visit.  They are all three HUGE OU fans!!

This morning I ran a few errands and then went to City Bites for lunch with Abby, one of our favorite places to eat.  Chemo went well once again today, except for when they stuck the needle in my port.  I     was puzzled because I had used the Lidocaine Cream they had given me to deaden the area around the port.  But I soon found out that I had applied it ALL WRONG.  You are supposed to use a big blob....I used just a dab.  I was not supposed to rub it in.  What did I do?  Rubbed it in "very well".  And, lastly, I was supposed to cover it with clear plastic (Saran Wrap) to keep my clothes from soaking it up, but, guess what.....didn't do that.  Next time maybe I'll read the directions.  At least the pain only lasts about 2 seconds!!  

My chemo buddies today were Abby, Thomas and Emma.  She wanted to see what chemo was all about and what her mommy was doing every Friday.  While she and I were sitting there, I took a few pics.  Her eyes are so tiny, it looked like she had them closed, so I asked her to open them wider.  She goes, "Hey mom, do you want me to do this?"  Hence, the second picture of her below.  She cracks me up.  They said it would take approximately three hours but we were out of there in and hour and forty-five minutes.  I didn't even get to get a nap in but trust me, I am not complaining.  Abby and Kylie are leaving tomorrow to go back to Idaho. :(  I don't know what I would have done without my 3 kiddos here helping me out these past two weeks.  Abby is my "meds nurse", as you will see below!  Luckily, they will be back in two weeks for another visit.

I want to thank everyone who texted/messaged me today before my treatment.  I know there are thousands of others who continue to pray for all of my family and we FEEL those prayers and they are working!!!!  Praying for us is the most important thing you can do for my family right now.

Later, Cathy






5 comments:

  1. My Momma's biggest issue with chemo, breast cancer, was the port. I remember her having to have it cleaned out often. She was amazing though. She never felt Ill effects and even wanted to eat out right after her treatments. She even gained weight. We continue to pray for Thomas, your family and you. As an OSU grad, I am pleased to read about his stickered up orange vehicle...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Momma's biggest issue with chemo, breast cancer, was the port. I remember her having to have it cleaned out often. She was amazing though. She never felt Ill effects and even wanted to eat out right after her treatments. She even gained weight. We continue to pray for Thomas, your family and you. As an OSU grad, I am pleased to read about his stickered up orange vehicle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love my geometry teacher! Praying for pure awesomeness all around you while fighting hard, Cathy!

    The O'Connors

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad things are going so well. We miss u so much! So do the students!!! Where's the pic of your art work from the Arts Festival? Much love, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad things are going so well. We miss u so much! So do the students!!! Where's the pic of your art work from the Arts Festival? Much love, Carrie

    ReplyDelete