Friday, December 1, 2017

Wow, I cannot believe it's already December 1!  We've been busy the past two weeks.  Austin came home and spent a week with us.  We had a great visit and spent a lot of time together.  I wish he wasn't so far away.  Then, we spent the week of Thanksgiving in New York City with Candice, Abby and Kylie.  The weather was great while we were there, only a few days were a little chilly.  We did a LOT in 6 days - Rockettes' show at Radio City Music Hall, Museum of Natural History, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Museum, walk across Brooklyn Bridge, little Italy, carriage ride through Central Park, walk down 5th Avenue and seeing the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloons on Wednesday night. Candice was the only one brave enough to actually walk down to the parade that morning.  When she reported to us what the crowds were like, we decided to just watch it in the warmth of our apartment.  I was concerned before the trip that I wouldn't be able to keep up with all of them (walking all over the city) but I did just fine with the walking.  It was the stairs that about did me in.  Our apartment was on the 5th floor with NO elevator.  Then add to that all of the subway stairs we climbed every day!  I slept great every night!!  Also, Thomas, Emma and I went to see the movie "Wonder" while we were there. It is the best movie I've seen in years.  Loved it.  Emma wants to see it again.

As far as my health, here's what's been going on.  On November 8, I finished this last regimen of chemotherapy which I had started back in June.  I would have been done earlier, but I kept having to postpone treatments because of my platelets and neutrophils counts.  This past Monday I had a CT scan and then today met with Dr. Walker.  We got great news.  My scan showed no tumors and nothing to be concerned about on my liver.  Praise God!  Next week I will start "maintenance" chemotherapy and do it every three weeks.  It will only be one drug (Avastin) and the side effects of it are not bad at all.  Also, since I'm still having issues with my throat pain every time I swallow anything, I am going to do a swallow study and see if that tells us anything.

I am loving my part-time teaching job.  I only work 10 hours a week and my class doesn't start until 12:30 (which makes it very convenient for sleeping in).  I have 7 Pre-AP students and they are so much fun.  They come from different high schools but they have bonded with each other and with me.  I look forward to seeing them every Tuesday and Thursday!  When I got this job, I gave up my volunteer work at Children's Hospital.  Some day I plan on doing it again.

I didn't proof read this because I'm trying to get out the door to the PCN-PCW basketball game tonight.  So, please excuse any grammatical errors.

Thank you to those who pray for me daily.  The prayers are greatly appreciated and are working!!!!

Happy Holidays to you all!

Love, Cathy

P.S. Don't have time to add any pictures.....will do it later!!




No comments:

Post a Comment